Sunday, October 20, 2019

GWEN: POINTLESS



I’m pretty open minded when I write about movies. I’ve enjoyed and recommended foreign films, art films, exploitation films and mainstream films. I’ve liked some movies others have hated and hated movies that others have loved. But when it comes time to review a movie that I truly can’t recommend to anyone it becomes the most difficult thing to do.

GWEN tells the story of a young farm girl in 19th century North Wales. While she wants to play and take care of her sister, her mother is grooming her to take over the farm they own one day. The father in this mix is away at war, leaving the trio of women to take care of the family homestead.

Something strange is happening in the area. One family has seen their animals suddenly die and it isn’t long before they’re found dead as well. When Gwen’s mother Eleanor is taken ill she worries if they are next. Add to that finding their sheep all slaughtered and dying her concern grows.

Eleanor is suffering from epilepsy, something not much was known of at the time. The doctor gives Gwen medicine for her mother to take but something else is going on. Gwen steps into her mother’s room one night to find her bleeding herself as a cure.

Her mother treats her harshly but that’s her way of pushing her to grow up. Gwen isn’t sure of how to handle the things that are taking place. In addition to that she’s afraid when the owners of the nearby slate mines come to Eleanor proposing to buy the farm which she refuses. But these men are not the type to take no for an answer.

Mysterious noises at night and dealing with her mother while raising her sister, Gwen’s life is not something you would wish on anyone. But one night something happens that will change their lives forever.

Trust me when I say that this description of the film is much better than sitting through the 84 minutes it took to watch it. The scenery ranges from beautiful to dreary. Of the characters on screen you have sympathy more for Gwen’s little sister than anyone and then Gwen herself. Eventually you have some for Eleanor but by then you’re tired of seeing her weird and angry ways.

The worst part is that this is a film that…okay if you’re going to watch it time for a spoiler alert. Ready? If you didn’t stop reading let me say that this is one of those films that has no ending. It’s a film that starts with one day and progresses from point A to point D and forgets all about points E through Z. I’m a viewer that hates films like this. I can accept a film as an art film but I’m one of those people who want a beginning, middle and end. This film offers only the beginning.

The big surprise in the film isn’t all that surprising as well. And when a movie turns on a mid or late film surprise it had best be something you don’t see coming. Otherwise the rest of the film is merely filler. I truly wanted to like this film but as the credits popped up on the screen I felt cheated and wondered why I had wasted nearly an hour and a half of my life watching it.

Feel free to watch the trailer and decide if you want to attempt this movie but I can’t recommend it to anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment