Monday, May 20, 2019

TYREL: SNOOZE ALERT!


I can’t decide where to begin with this one. So I guess the best way is to just describe the plot of this film, thin and nearly as non-existent as it is.

A group of friends is gathering for a weekend at a cabin in the Catskills to celebrate the birthday of one of them. Going along on the trip is Tyrel whose business partner and friend is one of the group. It should be noted, because you will have it pushed in front of you non-stop once the film gets going, that Tyrel is the only black man among the group.

The friends that know one another try to make him welcome but the discomfort he feels at being the only black man there shows. Still he ties to fit in as they drink, heavily and also non-stop, throughout the weekend. Uncomfortable moments arise, friendships are tested and by the end of the weekend *spoiler alert*…nothing happens.

I’d seen a lot of people referring to GET OUT when talking about this film but the only comparisons there are between the two films is a black man in a Caucasian setting. While GET OUT was a fantastic movie this one is perhaps one of the all-time worst movies I’ve ever seen. It made me think of the movies we were forced to watch in film school that a teacher claimed was art simply because it made no sense and did nothing to entertain. It’s the kind of movie that a film critic will praise for fear of others thinking they just aren’t in tune enough to understand the film rather than just say this is crap.

The movie costs me nothing financially to view and still I felt ripped off. It was 86 minutes of my life that I will never be able to retrieve. I could have been washing my hair or clipping my nails and been more entertained. This is the type of movie you hold onto and force someone to watch when you want information from them. After 30 minutes they’ll tell you anything you want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment