Sunday, January 9, 2011

What is Digital Views

Digital Views began long ago when my family and I owned a small mom and pop video store. The store became quite popular and for a while (keeping in mind this is the early days, back when VHS ruled) but as always seems the case, a major chain came in and forced us out of business.

But the same can't be said for the video review column I began back then. As people came into the store they always asked me what was worth watching and I'd give them suggestions and why. Nearly every time those same people told me that they hated the critics they read and that most viewed movies strictly as an art form but never an entertainment media. They also said that if they were going to fork over money, they wanted something entertaining and not just something a critic had high praise for. Granted, movies can be art but in general they're entertainment, they're the thing we plop down out admission to see to escape the world not be drenched in the worst or oddest it has to offer.

I took these words to heart and after having so many ask me what to watch and telling me my recommendations were good ones, I began writing the column for the local newspaper. It began as Video Corner but over the past few years with the demise of video it was time to change and enter the new media. Thus was born Digital Views

The column appears weekly in the local newspaper and online at both amazon.com and epinions.com. But I thought perhaps now was the time to try blogging. Quite new for someone as old as I am, but lets see how it works out.

So if you enjoy, fine, and if not that's okay too. Reviews are a personal look at movies and not everyone sees the same thing. But perhaps these reviews offered will give you an idea of what a movie is about and if it might have something you're interested in. I'm always receptive to constructive feedback (and if you love body counts and are disappointed I don't give them in horror reviews don't consider that constructive) and look forward to hearing back from folks who stop by.

Also, for those sites I've been fortunate enough to find pictures for each title from I hope to give you credit in link form some time in the near future. With so much backlogged I can't accomplish that at present. And you'll all also notice a ton of titles in January. Keep in mind I'm just starting the blog and will be putting as much up as possible from the past to begin with so you'll see lots but not quite all I've offered in the past. The same might hold true each month as I have the chance to go back and pull up the older reviews. Some are stored on disc and might take me a while to not only find but to post.

As I learn more the blog look may change. At the moment I've got a vacation from one job and lots to do with the other so stick around and see how it pans out. There may also be items posted that aren't reviews and when that happens you'll know by how I title them. Perhaps "Raves" and "Rants". Book and music reviews may creep in as well but I'll always note that with BOOK or MUSIC in the title first.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mark,
    What's the best way to reach you about screeners?

    Justin Cook PR
    info@justincookpr.com

    ReplyDelete